Image Map

Friday, March 9, 2012

recipe: salted caramel sauce (again)...


Back in September, I posted a recipe for homemade salted caramel sauce! {click here to see that recipe} It was really good, but it wasn't the consistency that I wanted. Well, last weekend, I discovered the perfect recipe!!! I really love it with green apples, the flavors are so great together! (Of course, it is also really good on frozen yogurt!) So, here is the new & improved recipe:

Salted Caramel Sauce

Ingredients...
4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

Note: This makes a big batch, so if you don't want a lot, cut the recipe in half.
Also, for this recipe you should have a candy thermometer.

Directions...
Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Allow it to cook, without stirring, until the mixture is dark amber, about 14 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream (be careful, because it will spatter); stir until smooth. Return to heat, and cook until a candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees, about 2 minutes. Pour caramel sauce into a bowl & stir in 1-2 teaspoon coarse salt, and let cool for about 15 minutes. Stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Let cool completely. Store the caramel sauce in a glass jar, in your refrigerator. It can be warmed up in the microwave.


4 comments:

  1. ooo my this looks delish! I used to eat caramel and apples all the time. it was one of my favorite snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog. I love yours too! I really enjoyed reading your About Me page - always encouraging to find Christian bloggers. And I'll definitely have to try this caramel sauce. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have sweet recipe's, no pun intended....i just had an apple dipped in greek vanilla yogurt, but i'm thinkin your sauce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy! apples and caramel are the perfect combo!
    ~Drew
    http://openendedfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete