Image Map

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

recipe | crout-runs

I don't share savory recipes very often, just because I love baking sweet treats more... but this is one of my
 all-time favorite meals that I grew up eating!! This is one of those nostalgic comfort foods for me; it reminds
 me of my grandma. My grandma (my dad's mom) taught this recipe to my mom & of course, I make it now too. 
In fact, we just had these at my uncle's birthday party a couple of weeks ago. Yumm!!!
They come from Nebraska, which is where my dad's side of my family is from. In Nebraska, something
similar is sold at a restaurant called, Runza. Maybe you have been there??? I've never actually been to the
restaurant, but I have had this homemade version countless times & I figure it is much better anyway!! 
(Also, I am calling these "Crout-Runs", because that is what my family has always called them, not sure why...)

My family's homemade Crout-Runs

Ingredients for the Bread Dough:
2 cups very warm water
1 egg yoke
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg yeast 
2-4 cups flour

Ingredients for the Filling:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, grated
Salt & Pepper, to taste
American cheese slices

Directions for making the Bread Dough...
Put the warm water in a large mixing bowl. (Make sure it is not too hot.) Whisk in the egg yoke & sugar.
 Sprinkle the yeast on top & let it dissolve. Mix in the four a cup at a time, until the dough is not too sticky.
 Kneed the dough for 5 minutes or so, by hand or using the hook on a standing mixer. 
Allow the dough to rise in a bowl brushed with oiled, in a warm spot, for about 45 minutes.

Directions for making the Filling...
While the dough is rising, put the chopped onions in a skillet & allow them to cook for a few minutes. 
Add in the ground beef, and cook it completely. Add salt & pepper, to taste. 
Add in the grated cabbage and allow to cook for a few more minutes. 
Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Now it's time to assemble the crout-runs...
Pinch off a handful of the dough & roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a 4-5 inch circle. 
Cut an american cheese slice into quarters & place one or two quarters in the center of the circle of dough. 
Then, place about 1/4 cup of the beef mixture on top of the cheese. 
Gather the edges of the dough to the middle and pinch it all together, in order to completely close off the roll.
Pinch off any excess dough & make sure the crout-run is well sealed. 
Place each crout-run on a greased cookie sheet, with the folded side facing down. 
Fill a cookie sheet, placing them a couple of inches apart. 
Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned.
Once the crout-runs are out of the oven, brush them with a little bit of melted butter. 
Allow them to cool for 5 minutes before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment