Image Map

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

recipe: mini heart pies

I love hearts & I love pie! So I thought, why not combine two of my loves and make heart-shaped mini pies. 
And because tomorrow is Valentine's day, I had a perfect excuse to make these!

Start by making your pie crust. It's actually pretty easy...
Of course, you could use store-bought pie crust, if you'd like.

Next, roll out your dough & cut out the hearts, using a cookie cutter.

For the filling, I used my own homemade chunky apple sauce. And it worked perfectly.
But you could used almost anything you wanted...
Fresh fruit, cut very small or even grated. Just add a bit of sugar, cinnamon & flour. 
Jams or purees. Or just store-bought pie filling.
You could even use savory combos: these these look so good.

Just put a small amount of your filling on top of one of the hearts.
Be careful not to use to much filling or it will make a mess when you put the tops on.
Use a fork to seal up the edges.
Then, poke the tops with a fork & brush with egg.
This picture is a good diagram of these steps.

Place the pies on to a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream & a drizzle of caramel sauce.

This is a perfect Valentine's Day dessert!

4 comments:

  1. Those are precious and quite delicious looking! I'm hoping to get some baking time in tomorrow to make something yummy for Valentine's!

    Happy love day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so sweet, Sarah! You photographed your treats beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look so adorable and delicious, i want them all. you sure can make food look appetizing, it's a hard skill to master!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I'm going to have to try these. I'd love to have you guest post on my DIY gifts series if you're interested. I love your crafts :)

    ReplyDelete