Image Map

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

{books i love} the hiding place...

One of my goals this year is to read more books & one of the specific books that was on my list to read, was The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. So many times my mom & sister encouraged me to read it & I am so happy that I finally did! 
{The Ten Boom Family}
It is truly an amazing book, that tells the story of Corrie Ten Boom & her family, living in Holland & running a watch shop. This story tells of how they used their home as a "hiding place" for many Jews & others who were the target of such horrible evil during the Holocaust. Because of what they did the whole family was arrested & they had to endure many horrible things... BUT also because of what they did, God worked in amazing ways & they were able to show His love to so many people! People's lives were saved physically & spiritually!
{The Ten Boom's watch shop & home}
It is a beautiful story of how God always provides & how His love can help us overcome the worst hate & pain. After all, even through the most horrible circumstances, so many amazing things happen to them. There is no way to deny that God was with them through it all! I love the message it shows of great faith, love, forgiveness & hope! It's a message everyone should hear!


Here are just a few of my favorite quotes from the book...

“Do you know what hurts so very much? It's love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill that love so that it stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel.” 

"And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives along with the command, the love itself.” 

“And so I learned that love is larger than the walls that shut it in” 



This book is a beautiful example of one of life's hardest things to do...
It challenged my faith, in an amazing way! 

Have you ever read The Hiding Place?
Do you have a favorite part or quote?
If you haven't read it, you should, because it's a blessing!

6 comments:

  1. I have read it and it is amazing!
    I think I need to go back and read it again though. It's been years since I last read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the best book I read last year! I LOVE it! When I'm at our local thrift store and I find a good copy, I pick it up for giving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book changed my entire view of Christianity. I love it. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read. :) I like the quotes you chose to share. Have you read any other of Corrie Ten Boom's books? They're all so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been years since I last read it, but I remember The Hiding Place being such an inspirational book.

    Hi! I'm new to your blog. I saw a comment you left at Inspired Design & clicked on over. I'm so glad I've found you and am happily now following your blog!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I love finding new books to read, especially ones about God's love. Thank you for this recommendation! And I'm diggin' the blog - I almost named my blog the same thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to tell you..I found your blog and as I was browsing through your posts I was shocked about how much we have in common! I came upon this post and I just had to comment! This is one of my favorite books. I was actually named after Corrie and ever since I was little, I have looked up to her and her faith in the Lord. Anyway, all this to say...I really enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete